mardi 13 août 2013

Reading / Lecture



Tracy Chevalier, The Last Runaway, (Book cover, detail)

I recently bought an electronic reading device, and I love it. It doesn't diminish my love of books, not at all, but it's so practical to take with me when I'm on the road teaching. 
This summer I read Tracy Chevalier's last book, The Last Runaway, just because I loved Girl with a Pearl Earing, and the film made from the book even more. What a good surprise! The book is mostly about quilting, and about the Underway Railroad, a "path" which took the runaway slaves to go North. Tracy Chevalier went through extensive research, and even made her first quilt to know exactly what she was talking about. Perfect summer read!

Je me suis récemment acheté une liseuse électronique et je l'adore. Cela ne diminue en rien mon amour des livres, mais c'est si pratique à prendre avec moi quand je suis sur les routes pour enseigner. 
Cet été j'ai lu le dernier livre de Tracy Chevalier, The Last Runaway, parce que j'avais adoré La Jeune Fille à la Perle et encore plus le film qui en avait été tiré. Quelle bonne surprise. Le livre parle principalement de quilts et du Chemin de Fer souterrain, le "sentier" que les esclaves fugitifs suivaient pour rejoindre le Nord. Tracy Chevalier s'est intensément documentée, et a même réalisé son premier quilt pour savoir exactement de quoi elle parlait. Ne manquez pas le livre dès qu'il sera traduit en français. Une parfaite lecture d'été!

The Last Runaway, Harper Collins, Janvier 2013, ISBN 0-52-595299-3



1 commentaire

  1. I am not convinced!!! I can't imagine holding a tablet instead of fondling a book. I spend too much time in front of a screen as it is!!! :-) However, I do want to thank you once again for introducing me to Tracy Chevalier, And now I must read this book!!!!

    RépondreSupprimer

On Instagram

© Mary & Patch. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.